Rainy days, cold wind, but still a glimpse of sunshine every now and then – we all get to know the stormy and Danish autumn in Copenhagen at the moment. (Although.. the sunshine every now and then raises the moods and gets people out of the houses)
We have gathered a few things to do during these cold days and beginning Christmas time in Copenhagen and we hope you will also enjoy the colder days in this beautiful city.
Stroll through the parks of the city
Copenhagen has some beautiful castles and parks that invite for strolling around and Yes, it might be a little colder, so get the gloves out, wrap big scarfs around the heads and get some hot chocolate on the way. You won’t be disappointed by places like Frederiksberg Have, Kongens Have or even Vestre Kirkegård. Take in the refreshing air, the beautiful colors and stunning castles.
If you like the idea of seeing nature, the Botanical Gardens (Danish: Botanisk Have) might be a good place for you. Stunning plants, buildings & staircases and the tropical heat will make you forget the bad weather for some time.
Image from: Instagram / botaniskhavekbh
Museums or galleries
Copenhagen offers some cultural highlights to its citizens and tourists:
- Glyptoteket, a museum with sculptures from different epochs
- The National History Museum of Denmark
- Frilandsmuseet/Open Air Museum (a little outside of Copenhagen)
- Den Blå Planet, an aquarium close to the airport
- Danish Museum of Art and Design
All of these places are worth going and exploring some interesting facts.
Tivoli and Christmas markets
After a long and hot summer, we all might actually be ready for some Christmas spirit. What better place to visit then Tivoli Gardens? From the 17thNovember on until the end of December you will find beautiful Christmas decorations, music, Christmas food and maybe even Julemanden (Santa Clause). So, gather your friends and enjoy the spirit.
There are a few more places in Copenhagen to enjoy the Christmas markets: from mid-November there will be Christmas markets spread all over the city. Just keep your eyes open!
Image: Lena Findeis
Something you should definitely not miss out, is making an autumn recipes and we also have a good idea for it: Apple Crumble. It is simple to make, all you need is:
- A couple of apples
- Some Lemon juice
- Cinnamon and other autumn spices
- 200g Butter
- 200g Flour
- 200g Sugar
- Vanilla sauce
It only takes a couple of steps to create a delicious desert.
- First, you chop up the apples into little cubes. After that, add some lemon juice, to prevent them from browning and give it a little fresh flavor, as well as cinnamon and any other spices you would like to add. Maple syrup might be a nice fit as well.
- The second step will be preparing the crumbles. For that you’ll need to mix the butter, flour and the sugar together. The goal is to get little pieces or crumbles, so you might want to use your hands at some point to knead the dough and break it in little, different sized crumbs.
- When this is done, just grab a baking dish, pour the apples in and top it with the crumbles. Bake it in the oven with around 180-200 degrees (until the crumbles get a nice colour) and meanwhile, heat the vanilla sauce in a pan.
Put some apple crumble on a plate and cover it with vanilla sauce. Enjoy! 🙂
We hope you like our ideas and enjoy fall!